​Restaurant Accidentally Serves Children Alcoholic Beverages


A Joe’s Crab Shack in Colorado (because crabs naturally occur right in the middle of America) has a bit of explaining to do after accidentally giving a group of six young children between the ages of 2 and 8 years old, drinks with alcohol in it. Yikes.

The children (ages 2-8) were supposed to receive “Shark Nibbles,” a “sweet & fruity” drink served with a shark toy. Unfortunately due to a mix-up the children were served the “Shark Bite,” basically the adult version of the “Nibble” loaded with rum, vodka, and curaçao. The children drank a good load of the beverages before a waitress came out about 30 minutes later and took the drinks back, saying they were made with the wrong ingredients. One of the witnesses described, via Mediaite:

“Then the managers actually came back with the tray of drinks and then let us know that they had accidentally poured alcohol into our kids’ beverages.”

Naturally the adults freaked out, seeing as their 2-year-old niece downed her whole drink. The waitress said the whole thing was a “mislabeling” mishap. While both drinks are blue and are served with grenadine and shark toys, it looks like the kids’ “Nibble” is served in a plastic cup, whereas the alcoholic “Bite” is served in a glass.

Joe’s Crap Shack released a statement, saying:

“Joe’s Crab Shack is aware of this incident at the Colorado Springs Location, and we are investigating this matter internally. We do not condone underage service of any kind. Our guests can rest assured that our processes are continuously examined so that incidents like this are avoided. “

Obviously it was a mistake, but a fucking dangerous one at that. Yeesh.


A representative from Joe’s Crab Shack reached out to Jezebel with an updated statement:

Joe’s Crab Shack has taken the incident at our Colorado Springs location very seriously and are working with the ABC to prevent a recurrence. We learned through an internal investigation that an employee at the restaurant had not been following procedure; their employment has since been terminated. Additionally, we dispatched a senior management team to retrain all Colorado Springs team members on proper beverage service and standards. We are doing everything we can to ensure that an incident like this does not happen again in the future.

Image via KKTV.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Share Tweet Submit Pin