Elon Musk Offers to Buy Twitter in Cash, As If He or the Site Could Get Any Worse
We hope, at the very least, he names it something incredibly stupid.CelebritiesDirt Bag
If the world is Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, Elon Musk is Veruca Salt, and his golden egg is Twitter: The billionaire is really out here now trying to buy Twitter with a massive cash offer of $41 billion.
On Thursday, Musk shared the SEC filing indicating his intentions with Twitter on, you guessed it, his personal Twitter account. In a letter to the board that can be read within the filing, the Tesla founder declares that he “invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy.”
In the event you somehow forgot, Musk is currently the company’s second-largest shareholder after buying 9.2% stake in Twitter earlier this month.
“However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company,” wrote Musk, adding he’s “offering to buy 100% of Twitter for $54.20 per share in cash, a 54% premium over the day before I began investing in Twitter and a 38% premium over the day before my investment was publicly announced.”
He called his offer “my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.”
“Twitter has extraordinary potential. I will unlock it,” he said.
Oh good. As if that hellscape site could not get worse… Perhaps Elon will rename it something incredibly stupid, like just a math equation or a Lord of the Rings character.
- Ben Affleck cheated on Dunkin’ with Starbucks. [TMZ]
- Rap’s hottest new artist may just be… Amanda Bynes? [Just Jared]
- Al Pacino’s new 28-year-old girlfriend’s list of ex-lovers includes Clint Eastwood and Mick Jagger, which tells me everything I ever need to know. [Page Six]
- Seems like there’s trouble in Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox’s paradise. [Instagram]
- Simu Liu has some thoughts for the accounting firm that laid him off a decade ago. [HuffPost]
- Game of Thrones actor Joseph Gatt was arrested on suspicion of “sexually explicit communication with a minor across state lines” via the internet. [ET Online]