Family of Teen Fatally Shot By Police: 'We Were Lied to From the Moment the Incident Happened'


15-year-old Jayson Negron was shot and killed by police on May 9 in Bridgeport, CT. A video released over the weekend seems to contradict the story told by officers about how Negron died.

The original story told by police was that Negron, who was driving a car erratically the wrong way down the road, was shot in the head and killed instantly, according to the Guardian. Negron’s cousin, Giovanni Rivera, shared footage on Twitter that shows Negron handcuffed in the street on his stomach. The camera pans away briefly, and when it returns to Negron, his head has turned to face the other direction. It’s unclear if Negron was moved by an officer or of his own volition.

“We weren’t given the truth. We were lied to from the moment the incident happened,” said Rivera in an interview with the Guardian.

CBS News reports that an autopsy shows that Negron died of a gunshot wound to the chest, not the head. Negron’s body was left uncovered in the street for six hours, which Bridgeport Police Chief Armando Perez says was an error in forensics protocol. “I don’t care if it’s a good guy or a bad guy—I will never allow that to happen again,” Perez told reporters. “Never. That’s normal procedure—we hide the body.”

The officer who opened fire on the car, James Boulay, has been put under administrative leave as the case is being investigated. Officers allege that Negron rapidly backed up the car, striking an officer. In the car with him was 21-year-old Julian Fyffe who was also hit, but did not sustain life-threatening injuries. Rivera told the Guardian that the footage was taken by a friend who wishes to remain anonymous. He told the Hartford Courant, “It’s very painful to watch, but it’s very important we put it out there because we were lied to by the police.”

“If that crucial part of the story is a lie, everything else is up for question,” Rivera added.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Share Tweet Submit Pin