Yale Student Dies When Hair Gets Caught In Machinery


Michele Dufault, a Yale student who was just weeks from graduation, died today when her hair was pulled into equiptment in the chemistry lab machine shop. Dufault, an astronomy and physics major, was using a lathe as part of her thesis project on the possible use of liquid helium for detecting dark matter particles. Yale administrators say they’re reviewing the school’s safety policies, and for the time being all undergraduates will be limited to using the labs while monitors are present.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Share Tweet Submit Pin