Lipstick Application: What's The Word?


The other day, a reader posed a query. “I’m trying to find the word that describes what I do right after I apply lipstick. Am I just “rubbing” my lips together? Am I “evening” the lipstick on my lips?”

She continued, “Every time I’ve ever put on lipstick I have pressed my lips together in a smoothing motion right afterwards. I think I picked this up from watching my mother, as well as watching many other women. Can you tell me what make-up professionals call this?”

We don’t know that, but maybe you do! It started a lively discussion amongst us. Was it “blotting?” “rubbing?” Smoothing? Spreading? Coating? Smacking?

…or is it something for which the perfect term has yet to be coined? Wordsmiths, step up!

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Share Tweet Submit Pin